Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Can you hear me now? Ars reviews the AX 720 headphones - customize fitted hats - Top

One of the major problems with living in a college dorm is that your gaming experience is often limited by a lack of quality sound equipment. First of all, most of us can't afford a 5.1 surround system; and between quiet hours, a general lack of space, and roommates, gaming late at night quickly becomes a tricky situation unless you're willing toforgo volume at a reasonable level. But a solution to this conundrum is at hand: the Tritton AX 720 gaming headset provides some fantastic sound for a reasonable price, and the combination is fantastic.

The AX 720 is the perfect headset to pick up if you game on any mix of consoles and/or a PC. The headphones are designed to provide high-definition audio for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360, and for the most part the AX 720 is a smashing success.

A 3-foot audio optical cable is used to connect the Tritton Amp to your consoles. Because I got sick of switching the cable from the consoles, I wound up picking up an optical audio splitter to connect two optical sources to a single input.

After connecting your consoles to the amp, using the headset requires a few more things to be hooked up. First, the detachable microphone needs to be plugged into the headset itself. If you're using it with a PS3, you're going to have to use a USB cable to connect the PS3 to the decoder. For the 360, an included audio cable is used to connect the controller to the 720's volume control unit. At first glance, it seems like there are too many cables being used, but you'll quickly forget about this when you put the headset itself on, thanks to the comfort and audio quality.

The AX 720 is extremely comfortable. Short of my Bose QC 15s, I haven't worn anything moreso. In fact, when Kaylee, my model, tried the headphones on, she even made a comment about how nice they felt. Meanwhile, the amp does a fantastic job of simulating surround sound. When I was playing Borderlands, I could actually hear enemies approaching from behind. As a result, I got killed from behind a lot less.

customize fitted hats

Talking to my friends with the headset over both Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network is great. I made a point of gaming with a friend in Boston and another in Dallas, and they both said my voice sounded clearer and crisper than it did when I used the standard Xbox headset and Bluetooth earpiece. On my end, I could certainly hear my friends even better.

However, the headset isn't entirely perfect. The only problem I encountered while playing games with the headset was that its bass is sometimes a little flat. It wasn't terrible, but it did appear a couple of times during action-heavy sequences where a lot of gunfire and explosions were present. The other problem I found was that the headset doesn't work yet with portable audio devices. While you can use your PC adapter to connect the AX 720 to an iPhone, the sound quality is extremely tinny and the volume doesn't work terribly well.

When I asked about iPhone compatibility, I received the following response: "Tritton is working on an iPhone connector that will not only allow the user to listen to music, but also have two-way communication for phone calls. Users will also be able to control his/her iPhone with features like answer/hang-up/pause/play/skip/repeat. This accessory isn’t available yet, but will be sold as an add-on for the AX720 and AX180."

The going price for the Tritton AX 720 is around $130, which may seem a bit much for a headset. If, however, you do have a little cash to splurge and are looking for a great sound system that won't demolish your budget or take up too much room, this is a fantastic solution.

Video results for customize fitted hats

:

Related posts for customize fitted hats

:

No comments:

Post a Comment